Help for Single Mothers in Kentucky: The Definitive Guide

Last Updated:

The state of Kentucky has a higher than national average unemployment rate of 9.5%. Unfortunately, many low income households and single moms are finding it difficult to make ends meet and relying on government financial aid. If you are in this boat, do not despair as help is available out there. In this article, we will overview food stamps in Kentucky, Medicaid health insurance for low income single moms, child care assistance and subsidized housing. We will also provide links to application forms which you can use to download and apply for these financial aid. During this entire process, remember to remain positive and adhere to any questions these organizations ask you including request to attend any interviews. Best of luck!

i) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The food stamps program in Kentucky is known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and aims to provide monthly food benefits to low income households and single moms to let them be able to afford healthy and nutritious meals for their families. Eligibility requirements include recipients must be citizens of the United States, live in Kentucky, as well as meet income/asset requirements. As an example, a household may not have more than $2,000 in cash or $3,000 if a member older than 60 lives in that household. The definition of household is any group of people who live and prepare their meals together. To apply for food stamp benefits, download an application form and submit it in person to a benefits caseworker at a family support office nearest to you. To find the nearest office to your home, visit and select your County. Note that your head of household must attend an initial interview with the benefits caseworker. Within 30 days of application, you will receive a letter notifying you if your household is approved for food stamp benefits and the amount of your benefits.


ii) Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program (KCHIP)

The Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program (KCHIP) provides health insurance options for children under 19 years of age whose household income is less than 200% of the federal poverty level. The KCHIP program provides a peace of mind to single moms who have children under 19 such that they have access to quality health insurance services for free or at a very low cost. For instance, a family of 3 can have a maximum gross income of $3,089 per month or $37,060 annually to qualify for KCHIP program. Full income requirements can be viewed here The KCHIP program covers essential health services such as dental care, doctor visits, vision & hearing, prescription medicines, hospitalization and lab tests or x-rays. Children under 19 can also be eligible for physical or speech therapies, glasses or immunizations. To apply, download the online application form here and mail it to the address provided in this link. As a proof of income, you will need copies of your pay stubs in last 2 months or a letter from your employer stating your wages.

iii) Rental Assistance Kentucky

Rental assistance programs for tenants allow low income households and single moms to find quality affordable housing in their counties and pay for them using housing vouchers administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Rental assistance programs are shared on co-payments meaning eligible recipients will pay 30% – 40% of their gross incomes towards rent while the HUD will pay the remaining share to landlords directly. Rental assistance in Kentucky is available throughout 87 counties and is administered by the Kentucky Housing Corporation. There is a waiting list for all rental assistance programs and new applications are accepted in the months January to July. To apply, contact a housing vouchers specialist that is assigned to your county by visiting They will mail you application forms to get you on the waiting list. Once approved, all rental units that you choose must be inspected for sanitary and safety standards. Once they meet the inspection requirements, your shared housing co-payments will start. For much more information, visit the Kentucky Housing Corporation’s website (see below).


Sharing is caring!

Discussions — One Response

  • stephanie May 17, 2017 on 2:57 pm

    I have gotten help from LIHEAP in Stanton Kentucky but have noticed by looking at copies of my electric bills that it has taken several months to credit the voucher to my account through my electric company (Clark Energy) and that during this several months that it takes to apply my voucher the electric company is charging me a penalty for the unpaid balance now on my bill it says unpaid voucher but they are charging me that as a late fee. I got a voucher in March and in April they had disconnected my service due to unpaid balance yet had still not applied my voucher and did not do so until after my electric service was turned back on they also took my deposit and applied it to my account and then took it back off again which put me again owing a deposit they never informed me of this which has resulted in no electric again even though i called and ask if they could give me 1 day until my unemployment check came in and i could pay the amount they would not do so and was really rude as they were when i called the winchester office i was under the impression the electric company would try and work with you but i have only had bad luck and bad attitude from them I try to take care of both my kids and a child that isnt biologically mine but seems i get no help at all i ahve worked and paid taxes since i was 16 and am now almost 33 and when i actually need help get looked down upon please tell me what to do to get the help i need